The first info about the monastery can be found in Turkish documents from 1556 stating the size of the estate and determined redemption amount of 3000 akčas. The monks did not collect the necessary money and ran away fearing the Turkish retaliation, however a resident of Kupinovo appeared who paid the requested amount to the Turks. It is difficult to determine when the monastery was built and who built it, it is assumed that most likely it was founded in the late 15th and early 16th century, somewhere is mentioned that it is endowment of Prince Lazar but there is no accuracy of this data. In mid-18th century a larger church was needed so in 1801 starts the building of the new church. It was built by Cornelius, a master from Novi Sad. In 10 June 1811. the church was completed and consecrated. That year, on St. Vitus Day relics of Prince Lazar were transferred in the new church, the event was attended by many people. Stefan Stratimirovic the Metropolitan of Sremski Karlovci came with a wagon of six white horses. Today, they are no longer in Vrdnik and are returned to Ravanica in Serbia. However, there is one piece of the relics displayed in a glass container built into the coffin in the monastery. Duke's relics have long remained in the old coffin brought from Ravanica in Serbia. In 1757. a new coffin was made of wood, plated on six pillars, with a crown and double-headed eagle on top and the image of Prince Lazar. Church was not painted for a long time, painted only in 1853 in the spirit of Romanticism. The iconostasis is carved by woodcutter Marko Vujatović (1809-14), and gilded by Petar Čortanović. The monastery has also relics of the holy martyr Anastasia from the third century, relics from the tomb of Christ, part of the relics of St. Theodore Tyron exposed in front of the iconostasis. Patron Saint feast day of Ravanica monastery is St. Vitus Day June 28.