According to the legend, the monastery of Kovilj was founded by the first Serb archbishop Saint Sava in the 13th century and dedicated to Saint Archangels. St Sava came there in an attempt to prevent Hungarian King Andrei from starting the war against Stefan the First Crowned. According to the modern history sources, the Kovilj Monastery was built in the end of the 15th century. The Kovilj Monastery was reconstructed in 1705-1707 when the high belltower was built. The new church of Kovilj Monastery has been built from 1741 until 1749 . Again Kovilj Monastery was demolished and set aflame in 1849. The main church of Kovilj Monastery was so badly destroyed so the new church had to be built, surviving till the present time. The iconostasis of Kovilj Monastery that exists today, was completed with elements of Italian Renaissance style in 1849 instead of the former one from the 1707, which was burnt in fire. The monastery treasury keeps the belt of silver and gold, which once belonged to St Sava.