The monastery is first mentioned in Turkish sources in 1566. In 1588 the monastery owned a vineyard, gardens, and a obligation to pay an annual fee of 700 akče. The monastic quarters were erected on two occasions during 1724 and during 1741. In 1765. they were combined into a single unit. By all means, the church is a mixture of the impact of Raska-type construction; base shape, manner of construction and gothic tendency in height, pointed arches, octagonal columns; while the portal is a mixture of baroque and classicism. The church has a total of nine narrow rectangular windows that surround it. Above it a high polygonal dome rises. Extensive reconstruction of the monastery complex was carried out in 1893, and minor changes were made in 1921. The monastery was in good condition after World War II , and Dimitrije Ruvarac states that the fraternity had a large library of 780 books, 63 churchly. The monastery was materially well placed, owning 2536 acres of agricultural land and this situation continued until World War II, when the monastery had 1971 acres of land. The monastery has a very nice park that was once raised by Archimandrite Dimitrije Branković. However, it is today, largely neglected, but still very nice, with nice stone paths and internal decorations. In addition, the park above it there is a small chapel built in 1905. The chapel has a small, very beautiful carved iconostasis with 7 icons. In World War II, the monastery was devastated, and the buildings remained intact. The Patron saint feast day of the monastery Beočin is Ascension Day 40th day after Easter.
Orthodox Christianity religion
The Orthodox Church respects and preserves the canons and the decisions of the seven Ecumenical Councils, rejects and does not recognize the universal authority of the Pope. Today it's organized on a national level.
The Orthodox Church is not one church but a family of independent bodies which are referred to by the nations in which they are located (Greek Orthodox Church, Russian Orthodox Church ...) They are united in the understanding of the sacrament, doctrine, liturgy, ecclesiastical order, but each of them alone regulates its life. At the head of each Orthodox Church a Patriarch was appointed as the Head of. Chief among them is the Patriarch of Constantinople with the headquarters in Istanbul, which enjoys considerable favor, but no power to influence other Orthodox churches, being only the first among equals.
The Orthodox Church claims to be the only true church of Christ, and that its roots go back to the first apostles. They believe in the Trinity, the Bible as the word of God, Jesus as the Son of God and other biblical doctrines.
The most important work on which the liturgy is based, is the Holy Bible made of the Old and the New Testament, as well as Sacred Tradition. The New Testament is particularly significant for Orthodoxy which presents the life and teachings of Jesus Christ.
The most important role of the Orthodox churches is to serve as a place where the living Church - the believers, cry aloud their prayers to God. The most important part of church life is sacred liturgy i.e. religious services, served on Sundays and other holidays at the temples. In addition to the liturgy, the morning and evening prayer are performed , classes and vigils also, which have instructive character at the same time. Liturgy is served by a priest in the presence of believers. There are three levels of the ministry: a deacon, a priest and a bishop. Episcopes or Bishops are hierarchically below the patriarchs and their administrative units called dioceses.
Krušedol Monastery was founded by despot Djordje Branković, whose monastic name was Maksim and his mother Angelina, wife of blind Stefan Branković. It is assumed that the construction lasted from 1509 to 1513. when it was partially completed with the help of donations. While the monastery was under the continued construction , Metropolitan Maksim had a residency at Dormition monastery in Belgrade, occasionally visiting Krušedol to oversee the work. All that was flowing very slowly, so it took almost 50 years building the monastery. During withdrawal of the Turks from Srem 1716. monastic quarters were damaged, and the church was burned. Restoring lasted almost six decades in the 18th century. The iconostasis is composed of the icons of the four periods, the earliest ones have paintings of apostles with Christ, the Virgin and St. John the Baptist. During World War II the monastery was not demolished but was robbed and a large and valuable treasury was taken away. In the monastery are the relics of many famous Serbs: despot Djordje Branković and his parents Angelina and blind Stefan Branković, Patriarch Arsenius III Čarnojevićwas buried here, Metropolitan Isaiah Ðaković, Patriarch Arsenije IV Jovanović Šakabenta, Count Đorđe Branković, Duke Stevan Šupljikac, princess Ljubica Obrenović and king Milan Obrenović. Monastery Krušedol is one of the most important monasteries by historical and cultural role, the richness of the Treasury, the famous iconostasis and frescoes, other relics.
Old Hopovo Monastery or as it is often called the Old Monastery, is located 3 kilometers from New Hopovo. It was founded before the Turkish Conquests 1526. The Ottoman tax books mention it in the period between 1545-1548. The original church, built of wood was destroyed in an earthquake in 1751, and in the following year another church that exists today dedicated to Saint Panteleimon was built, while the old temple was dedicated to St. Nicholas. At that time the church had no icons, but was only whitewashed and had no iconostasis. The church never had a bell tower. Much like in New Hopovo, the church's façade was divided by one wreath, and the upper part of the facade is decorated with blind arcades, and in the lower part three windows and doors are open. There is only one apse (altar) to the east. The interior of the church is clearly divided up in the narthex, nave and altar. The one-nave church with a dome got a richly carved iconostasis, made from 1793 to 1800. by the painter from Irig, Ephraim Isajlović. The iconostasis was damaged and dismantled during World War II, and the icons were housed in one of Irig churches. Since 1955, all icons except the throne ones, are kept in the Provincial Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments, where they were preserved. During 1952 conservation and restoration interventions on the church building were carried out.
It is believed that the monastery was built for Grgur Branković - a monk's name was German, at the initiative of his son Vuk Grgurević. Historians disagree and find that it is more legend than fact, and that there is no evidence to support these claims. There is no reliable facts, who built the monastery as well as the time of its construction. Even 1471 appears as the year of its foundation. Since Grgur Branković died in 1459, this story still remains a legend. Some sources suggest that the monastery was built before the fall of Srem in 1521. It is also assumed that the monastery was wealthy, since at the time of redemption from the Turks, their lawns, gardens and fields were redeemed for an amount of 6,000 akče. According to the quotes from 1702 by Abbot Boninus, the monastery owned 4 mills, 200 acres of fields and meadows, and at that time 25 monks resided in the monastery. An Austrian Charter from 1706 shows that the monastery had a total of ten mills. In the 18th century Grgeteg was a refuge center for monks from the monastery Slanci who have fled there to escape from the Turks bringing with them belongings, clothes and books, although when the danger was over, they went back to Slanci. At the time of the Turkish-Austrian war in 1683-99. monastery was burned in 1688 and then abandoned. Austrian Emperor Leopold gave it to Isaiah Đaković, who started the renewal of the monastery. Today's form, Grgeteg Monastery owes to Archimandrite Ilarion Ruvarac, the famous historian who fully carried out the restoration of the church and guest house in 1899. Solemnly consecration of the monastery was carried out on 10 June 1901. It was attended by Metropolitan George Branković, Antony Hadžić, poet Laza Kostić, Bačka Bishop Mitrofan (Šević, 1900-18), the Superior of all monasteries and many others. In the second World War, the monastery was severely damaged, and in 1953 was gradually restored. Conservation and restoration works were carried out in 1988. The Patron Saint feast day of the monastery Grgeteg the Transfer of the Relics of Holy Father Nikolai - 22 (9), May.
The first info about the monastery can be found in Turkish documents from 1556 stating the size of the estate and determined redemption amount of 3000 akčas. The monks did not collect the necessary money and ran away fearing the Turkish retaliation, however a resident of Kupinovo appeared who paid the requested amount to the Turks. It is difficult to determine when the monastery was built and who built it, it is assumed that most likely it was founded in the late 15th and early 16th century, somewhere is mentioned that it is endowment of Prince Lazar but there is no accuracy of this data. In mid-18th century a larger church was needed so in 1801 starts the building of the new church. It was built by Cornelius, a master from Novi Sad. In 10 June 1811. the church was completed and consecrated. That year, on St. Vitus Day relics of Prince Lazar were transferred in the new church, the event was attended by many people. Stefan Stratimirovic the Metropolitan of Sremski Karlovci came with a wagon of six white horses. Today, they are no longer in Vrdnik and are returned to Ravanica in Serbia. However, there is one piece of the relics displayed in a glass container built into the coffin in the monastery. Duke's relics have long remained in the old coffin brought from Ravanica in Serbia. In 1757. a new coffin was made of wood, plated on six pillars, with a crown and double-headed eagle on top and the image of Prince Lazar. Church was not painted for a long time, painted only in 1853 in the spirit of Romanticism. The iconostasis is carved by woodcutter Marko Vujatović (1809-14), and gilded by Petar Čortanović. The monastery has also relics of the holy martyr Anastasia from the third century, relics from the tomb of Christ, part of the relics of St. Theodore Tyron exposed in front of the iconostasis. Patron Saint feast day of Ravanica monastery is St. Vitus Day June 28.
Monastery PRIVINA (Pribinova) GLAVA, dedicated to the Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel, is located near the village of the same name, in the western part of Fruška gora, about five kilometers northeast of Šid. There are two legends about the origin of this monastery. According to one ,monastery is named after the founder, nobleman Privа (Priba), who founded the monastery in the 12th century. According to the second, the monastery was founded by Despot Vuk Branković in the 15th century, at a spot where builders who received money for the construction of the monastery were murdered (chopped off their heads, hence the name of the monastery). Since it is assumed that the monastery was founded in 1496, the second legend is more to be truth. On the site of a medieval church, in 1741 a new church and decker quarters to the south and east. The temple has trikonhos basis with a dome on free columns were built. The narthex is a separate territorial unit, and on its western facade, Baroque bell tower was added in the late 18th century. The painting of the iconostasis, the icons on the pillars in front of the altar and icons on the throne, and the murals in the church were performed by Kuzman in the period from 1786 to 1791.
Based on the legend preserved in an old file, Rakovac was founded in the late 15th century by Raka Milošević, great chamberlain of Despot Jovan Branković. The monastery was named after him. The monastery church of Rakovac was probably built around 1533. Numerous written records suggest that the monastery was repeatedly destroyed, abandoned, then rebuilt. In World War II the monastery suffered greatly. The bell tower was mined and destroyed down to the height of the first floor of the chapel, the church interior was completely demolished, a richly carved iconostasis burned. Monastery dormitory buildings suffered biggest devastations, whose restoration was only partially performed to date on the north side. During 1958 - 59. the Provincial Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments reconstructed the church building, which regained appearance from the time of its occurrence. It should be noted that a new transcript of Dušan's Code was made in Rakovac in 1700, and in 1714. a written manuscript known Rakovački srbljak. The treasury of the monastery Rakovac kept many things, like a sacred host tray from 1609, the omophorion embroidered with silk in 1664, a wooden coffin decorated with nacre in which the right hand of st. Procopius was kept, a copper engraving from 1741 with a picture of the former monastery, the work of Thomas Mesmer, green velvet felon from 1749, and others.
Monastery on Mount Fruška Gora north of Sremska Mitrovica. Petkovica was never an independent monastery, but in 1741 it became appendage of Sisatovac Monastery. Probably one of the oldest monasteries in the area, although the exact time of its origin has not been determined. It is assumed that it was built after the restoration of the Peć patriarchate in 1557. National legend attributes it to Jelena Štiljanović, widow of Despot Stefan Štiljanović, who spent her last days in the monastery as a nun. The church was built in the traditional style of Serbian architecture, icons painted in 1588 and dedicated to St. Petka. Original iconostasis is lost with no trace, a new altar screen is made in 1735. In the 17th century the monastery was quite rusty, and the Metropolitan Pajsije saved from demolition by Sinan Bey. In the 18th century it was rebuilt several times. During World War II, the church was abandoned, and everything in it, including some old icons, were taken away and destroyed. The iconostasis was destroyed, and the cross was transferred to the Museum of Srem in Sremska Mitrovica. Restoration of the church and cleaning of the murals were performed 1950/52. year, and conservation works were resumed in 1981.
The Jazak Monastery is established by Despot Jovan Brankovic on the southern slopes of Fruska Gora Mountain at the end of the 15th century, to be deserted during the reign of Maria Theresa in the second half of the 18th century. The new Jazak Monastery was constructed between the 1736 and 1758. The monastery with the Church of The Holy Trinity was built in 1758. It was reconstructed in the 20th century. The church was undamaged during the 2nd World War. Most probably jazak is the most beautiful Monastery in Fruska Gora. The monastery is also known for a spring with healing water, and today the mineral water from this locality is bottled and available in stores.
The church of Kuveždin Monastery is dedicated to St Sava. It is believed that this monastery was built by despot Stefan Stiljanovic in 1520, dedicated to St Sava. This monastery played a very important role in spreading the cult of first Serbian educators, among whom were St Sava and St Simeon. The monastery was badly damaged during the 2nd World War.The monastery hes been restored partially, the church was reconstructed from the outside as well as one part of the residence and the drive-way was paved. Kuveždin Monastery is a male monastery. The existing church was built in 1816, on the foundations of the old temple. The iconostasis for the church was completed by Pavle Simić in the mid-19th century. It’s located on the south-western slopes of Fruska Gora Mountain.